Can You Find The Hidden Message?
There is a hidden message somewhere inside the Learn FileMaker Pro 16 book. Be the first to find it and win a prize!
For software engineers, an Easter egg is a hidden message or secret feature intentionally placed somewhere inside of computer code as an inside joke. According to Wikipedia, the term was coined circa 1980 by Steve Wright, the director of software development in the Atari Consumer Division, after a player discovered a message hidden by Atari employee Warren Robinett in the Adventure game released in 1979.
While Mark doesn’t put Easter eggs in software he writes professionally, he did hide one inside his book Learn FileMaker Pro 16, adding a fun challenge for readers. Now you can search for the hidden message while learning how to program FileMaker!
The first person to correctly identify the location and nature of the hidden “egg” in the book and report it through this page, will win a prize — one $50 Amazon Gift Card, plus bragging rights on social media!
This contest is hosted and managed solely by the author. See contest rules below for details about terms and conditions.
No Winner Yet — Keep Searching!
Prize — $50 Amazon Gift Card
No one has claimed this prize yet.
Order the Book
Learn FileMaker Pro 16 is available from online booksellers (click for more information):
Official Contest Rules and Conditions
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
- Eligibility: The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. The Contest is open to anyone with the following exceptions who are excluded from participation:
Family and close friends of the book’s author, technical editor.
Employees of Apress, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
- Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Mark Conway Munro (the “Author”) as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Contest.
- Contest Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on October 23, 2017 and ending when a winner is announced or December 31, 2020, whichever comes first.
- How to Enter: The Contest must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided by the form at the bottom of this page (http://www.learn-filemaker.com/?page_id=500). The entry must fulfill all Contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Author. You may enter more than once until a winner is announced. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter by using email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of the Author.
- Prizes: The Winner of the Contest (the “Winner”) will receive an Amazon.com gift card valued at $50. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Author. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Author to use Winner’s name and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and the amount of skill and diligence they exhibit.
- Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by an email message containing the appropriate information, under the supervision of the Author. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. The Author shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 20 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT THE AUTHOR‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CONTEST, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
- Rights Granted by You: By entering this content, You understand and agree that the Author, anyone acting on behalf of the Author, and The Author’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, statements about the Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes, without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
- Terms & Conditions: The Author reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond the Author’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, the Author may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by the Author. The Author reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. The Author has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Contest, to void votes for any reason. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, the Author reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless the Author and his subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
- Disputes: THIS CONTEST IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND PENNSYLVANIA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Pennsylvania having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
- Winner: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name visit the Learn-FileMaker website.